The organisations responsible for managing the Coast Path have developed these guidelines to help you have a safe walk. Please read and always follow them.
As well as following the Countryside Code, when you are walking the South West Coast Path remember:
- Staying safe is your own responsibility - please look after yourself and other members of your group
- Keep to the path and stay away from cliff edges - please follow advisory signs and waymarks.
- Whilst it is tempting to go close to cliff edges to peer over you should stay back from them:
- as a slip or trip could be fatal
- some cliffs overhang or are unstable and this is not always obvious
- take particular care when the grass is short, as when wet it can be very slippery
- Take special care of children and dogs – please look after them at all times.
- Dress sensibly for the terrain and weather - wear suitable clothing and footwear and be ready for possible changes in the weather.
- To enjoy your walk, stay within your fitness level – some sections of the Coast Path can be strenuous and/or remote.
- In an emergency dial 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
More detailed advice can be found on the full website.